Sunday, February 10, 2013

February 2013 "Glam Bag" Review

Beauty subscription services have revolutionized the way makeup lovers experiment with products. In the last two to three years, dozens of companies have emerged with the promise to satisfy your beauty needs through a monthly package with 4-5 samples. This month, I have finally jumped on the bandwagon and ordered myself a "Glam Bag" from http://www.ipsy.com/. This beauty subscription was started by makeup artist, Michelle Phan, and cost only $10 per month. 

To be completely honest I was underwhelmed when I received my Glam Bag. Before purchasing it, I researched various beauty subscriptions (my Birchbox will hopefully be coming soon), and was convinced that ipsy has overshadowed other companies. I perused all the previous bags and became quite excited to finally get mine in the mail.  This month's bag is "Red Carpet Ready" themed and holds 5 products. 

This first product is a pore minimizing face primer from Pixi. I was probably most excited about this product because my hands have been itching for Benefit's "POREfessional". So far I have not noticed a huge difference but it definitely works! I wish the sample was a bit bigger because this won't last me long.  


Okay, does anyone truly use lash cards? I understand the practicality of lash cards but I do not think I shall be using these. A bit of a waste if you ask me.  


I must admit I really cannot judge this product well. I have never used gel liners in the past and, in general, I rarely wear any type of eyeliner. The liner did not come with a brush so I shall be hauling my ass to Target soon to pick one up. Let's hope I adapt and begin using this product. 


A baby Costal Scents palette was also included in the bag. I believe that people received either the silver toned palette or the gold toned one. The shadows don't have the best pigmentation (I have been spoiled by Urban Decay's Naked palettes) and they aren't colors that I would normally wear. However, I will play around with them and try to make them work for me. 


After some use, POPBeauty's Smokey Lash Kapow!!!, turned out to be a disappointment. This mascara is lengthening and looks very natural but after an hour, you have dark circles under your eyes. It smudges horribly and isn't worth it. I'll use this up and keep it in my bag but it would not be my go-to mascara. Overall, I wasn't horribly impressed and don't think it was worth $10. We'll see what I think of Birchbox. What do you guys think of these beauty subscription services?   

-M-

2 comments:

  1. I just signed up to a couple of them. I know, I'm behind the times. But the idea of paying for "Samples" - aren't you supposed to get samples free????
    My Beauty Junction

    ReplyDelete